On Saturday February 19th 2011, I presented this session on online professional development, with a focus on blogs and Twitter.
If you have any questions, comments or feedback, feel free to comment on this post or contact me on Twitter @sandymillin. I look forward to seeing you again in my PLN!
I have also included some more links related to Twitter and blogs to help you out.
- An introduction to Twitter (screencast – a kind of video teaching you how to do things)
- Twitter for Teachers: A Guide for Beginners (blog)
- How to sign up for Twitter – a step-by-step guide (Powerpoint via blog)
- Twitter at a glance (infographic – similar to a poster, with lots of useful information)
- Why you should start Tweeting by EnglishRaven / Jason Renshaw (blog)
- Anatomy of a Tweet by Nik Peachey
- Expanding your PLN on Twitter (PLN = Personal Learning Network) (blog)
- How to use Tweetdeck (screencast) – Tweetdeck is an excellent piece of software which makes Twitter easier
- #eltchat explained (blog) – #eltchat is a conversation between ELT teachers from around the world. It is a fascinating thing to take part in.
- And a fun video to make you laugh: ‘Twitter madness‘ from Grey’s Anatomy
- Why do I blog? (blog)
- What a good idea? (blog)
- How to use wordpress (screencast) – the blog you’re reading right now was created on wordpress, one of the most popular blogging platforms
- How to use blogger (screencast) – an alternative platform
- 7 silly things you really shouldn’t forget to include in your blog
- Blogging and social media: advice for educators
- A list of ELT blogs to follow
- Google Reader tutorial – an easy way to view all of the blogs you’re interested in in one go, without having to remember all of the addresses
Other posts on my blog which you might be interested in
- The Online Professional Development Survey
- What I learnt on #eltchat today – my first #eltchat summaries (I have done a few more since then)
- My first play with Overstream (this was the video you saw during the presentation)
- A beginner’s guide to building a PLN – a series of steps broken down into breakfast, lunch and dinner
- I love my PLN – how it has transformed my learning – by Russell Stannard, author of the screencasts you may have watched above (audioboo – a sound file online)
These links have been added since the conference:
- The journey of a Twitter Newbie
- A very indepth set of screencasts introducing you to every aspect of Twitter you might need to know (with bookmarks for quick navigating)
- Twitter teaching and learning – a reflection on what Twitter has offered to one teacher
- Nine reasons why teachers should use Twitter
- Quick start tips for new Tweeters
- A video showing you how to make the most of #eltchat
- Breaking down the four walls of the language classroom using Twitter and Skype
- The Who, Why and How of Twitter (infographic)
- A first experience of #eltchat - one quick paragraph to get you interested
- Writing quality blog comments – an amazing video by 3rd graders!
- Ways to take advantage of being a blogging no-one
- 11 tips for teachers who start blogs
PLNs and Continuing Professional Development