(Originally posted on my googlesites blog, 26 September 2010)
After a month back at IH Brno my timetable has finally settled down, just in time for a public holiday on Tuesday 28th September! I have a range of classes covering:
- three general English classes (one Intermediate and two Advanced)
- a teen class
- a YL class
- a one-to-one with a near-native 9-year-old
- an FCE Intensive class (5 x 3 hours per week)
- a CAE standard class (2 x 90 minutes per week)
- a one-to-one with a proficient ex-translator and Legal English specialist
- two other one-to-one adults
- an ESP financial English class
- two other company classes (one studying Business English and one General)
So, a little bit of everything really!
And as if all that weren’t enough, I will also be studying for my Certificate in Advanced Methodology (CAM) starting on the 1st October. I will use this space for my course journal, as well as for my aforementioned thoughts on technology in the classroom, which so far has run to creating a space on Edmodo for all of my groups. The FCE Intensive group have really embraced it, replying to questions and posing their own, as well as submitting homework through the site, and generally taking the ‘community’ out of the classroom, and practising their writing skills at the same time! There’s an example of some of their exchanges below. Hopefully this can be repeated with at least some of my other groups!
I’ve also done a technology survey with almost all of my groups to find out what they already aware of. In the next month I hope to put the information I’ve gained to use and start encouraging students to make the most of the technology they have at their fingertips.