On Friday 4th April, I did my first ever Pecha Kucha (and no, I don’t know how to pronounce it either – PK!). If you’ve never heard of a PK, it’s 20 slides, each on screen for 20 seconds, giving a total of six minutes and forty seconds. The speaker has no control over the slides, and just has to keep up!
There were eight presenters, all of whom were very entertaining:
- Valeria Benevolo Franca (the host): Keep Calm and Pecha Kucha
- James Taylor: Just say yes!
- Bita Rezaei: A manifesto for teachers
- Damian Williams: Linguistic Landscapes
- Thom Jones:
- Cecilia Lemos: The Ten Commandments of ELT
- Lindsay Clandfield: memes
The whole event was recorded, and you can watch it below. I’d highly recommend watching the whole thing (it’s an hour), but if you just want to see mine, it starts at 33:15.
As well as being my first PK, it was my first presentation on a stage, or with a microphone. It was a great experience, and something I hope I can do again in the future!
Elena Matveeva chose some of my 19 things and expanded on them, as well as highlighting points from some of the other PKs.
Lizzie Pinard blogged throughout the PK evening – I have no idea how she kept up!